25 Monitoring Costs and Savings
N2W Software customers have a single point of control and management over the procedure of backing up their cloud-based services and data stores. Monitoring the costs will help customers define backup plans that fit their budget and thereby avoid unexpected costs. N2WS provides the following services for monitoring costs:
- Cost Explorer – Cost of storage that was created by N2WS to hold short-term backup snapshots of the customer’s cloud-based assets.
- Allows customers to monitor the costs by the backup processes generated by N2WS.
- Allows customers to issue monthly bills per policy backups.
- Calculations are made for the last month by default and can be set to prior periods.
- Breakdown of costs is found in the Costs ($) column of the Policies tab.
- Cost Savings – Amount of money that users can save by enabling Resource Control management.
- Calculations are made for the next month.
- Breakdown of savings is found in the Cost Savings column of the Resource Control Groups tab.
In the Dashboard screen, you can find both Cost Explorer and Cost Savings information in their respective tiles:
Following are the steps necessary for using Cost Explorer:
To disable Cost Explorer, it is sufficient to clear Enable Cost Explorer in the Cost Explorer tab.
To allow CPM Cost Explorer calculations in AWS, users must add cost allocation tags once.
To activate user cost allocation tags:
- 2.Open the Billing and Cost Management console.
- 3.In the navigation pane, choose Cost Allocation Tags.
- 4.Choose the following tags to activate, and then select Activate:
In the Policies tab, you can monitor the backup costs of each policy for the last month or a different time period. The breakdown of costs per policy in dollars for the desired period appears in the Cost ($) column.
If the Allow Cost Explorer option is not enabled for the logged-in user, or if the backup was generated within the last 24 hours, the Cost ($) column will show ‘N/A’. To enable Cost Explorer for a user, see section 18.3.
You can monitor costs for a different time period by setting the Cost Period for all policies. The maximum period is one year. The current period is shown next to
Cost Period in the Policies tab below the filters.
To specify the period for cost calculations:
- 1.Select the Policies tab and then selectCost Period.
- 2.Select Period.
- 3.Choose the From and To dates from the calendars, selecting Apply after each date.
In the Resource Control Groups tab, you can monitor the expected Cost Savings for each group, based on the schedules you have set to Turn Off an instance or an RDS database.
To update the screen with the current AWS savings, select
Refetch Savings Data from AWS, and then select View updated data in the data refetched message.